by Greg Allard
As there has been quite a bit of buzz around Saturday’s upcoming Food Truck Rally at the High Dive parking lot recently, we asked Pat Lavery of Glory Days Presents to answer a few of our questions about the event.
I looked at your Facebook event page and there seems to be a lot of stuff cooking at the Food Truck Rally, excuse the pun. Could you please explain what the Food Truck Rally is for those who haven’t gone yet?
It’s a mini festival tucked away in the heart of downtown. People come for the affordable gourmet truck food, but they stay for the atmosphere and the local entertainment. There is a bunch more info in the description, which you can find on the event page.
How did it start?
It was an epiphany inspired by existing resources. High Dive has the biggest parking lot of any live music venue downtown, and a relationship with Pelican Brothers who had met local and regional vendors at other events they had done in the past. Glory Days has put on a music festival or 2 in its day. Myself and the then Pelican Bros owners pooled our resources, and a new local tradition was born.
Who generally goes to the event?
One of my favorite parts of this event is the large cross section of Gainesville that it appeals to. Everyone loves food and free music. We have families with kids and grandmas, college kids, young professionals, city leaders, hipsters and hippies. They all come together for this unique event. Also, this rally is the first that will feature a dog food truck. Fun creative snacks for your pooch from the Earth Pets Treat Truck, including “doggie beer”
Cool. How many people do you expect?
Every rally has been bigger than the last. We have been estimating approximately 2000 – 3000 people from beginning to end.
And Captain Lovely is playing for free.
Captain Lovely is one of the best jam bands in town. We have had them at High Dive opening for artists like Duane Trucks, Colonel Bruce Hampton, and they were one of the headliners for our annual Summer Jam local music festival this past summer.
From the Food Rally Truck Facebook page:
||Glory Days Presents!Sat Sept 28 @ High Dive Parking Lot
210 SW 2nd Ave / downtown / next to Five StarOriginal Gainesville FOOD TRUCK RALLY & FREE CONCERT
hosted by Pelican BrothersNEWLY PAVED / RENOVATED PARKING LOT!UF Gators vs Kentucky football on 4 screens at 7pm!
3 outside, 1 big projection screen inside! Big stereo sound !FREE LIVE MUSIC follow the game inside on the big stage at 10pm
CAPTAIN LOVELY (jam / funk )
Lyda Brothers Band (funk / blues)
Irie Ones (reggae)DJ outside: Sean Bush
This new local tradition, The Original Gainesville Food Truck Rally is back on Sept 28th for the first rally of the Fall to be held at High Dive! Come check out the newly paved parking lot!
Expanded event layout, MORE VENDORS including old favorites and new delights, and a completely FREE concert taking place inside High Dive.
Glory Days, High Dive and Pelican Brothers once again are giving you the unique opportunity to try a variety of delicious, high-end foods at affordable prices. Food trucks from across the area and beyond will be serving up unique, gourmet style fare to Gainesville’s hungry masses at this one-of-a-kind local event! Vegan and vegetarian options available !
The fully stocked beer, wine and liquor bar outside on The Deck at High Dive will once again be open with lots of tables and seating. Non alcoholic drinks will also be available from the tents in the parking lot, as well as the bar.
Don’t forget the FREE CONCERT with local and regional bands:
Drs 6:30pm inside the High Dive concert room for the game and the show !
NO TICKETS NEEDED FOR THIS EVENT, its completely FREE, so come on out and bring all your friends and family!
Pelican Brothers (host)
Baboyz Truck (Ocala)
Monsta Lobsta (Orlando)
Off the Griddle (Polk County)
Sizzle Wagon (Alachua)
Some quick tips for the event:
1) Completely FREE. No Admission charge for this event.
2) Vegan and vegetarian options available
3) The event starts at 5pm but will go into the night with a FREE CONCERT starting at 9pm. Its not necessary to arrive right when the event starts. Lines will be manageable and most wait times will be in the 10 – 20 minute range
We encourage you to hop around and try something from everyone! The rally has appetizers, main entrees and even dessert !
Some of the trucks will be prepared to served all through the night ! The more popular trucks will simply be eaten into submission earlier in the night !
4) Drinks and seating available only on The Deck at High Dive. Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic
N/A drinks will be served at 2 drink tents outside in the parking lot next to the vendors !
5) Due to local laws alcohol cannot be taken outside of the High Dive, and no outside drinks are allowed inside High Dive
6) Bring an ID! High Dive is a bar and local laws require a drivers license or passport to enter.
7) Free street parking available in the area (no charge for meters on weekends), or park next door in the SW Parking Garage ($5). Please DO NOT park in the surrounding businesses parking lots (IE The Jones)
8) Some vendors take credit but some only cash. ATM inside High Dive, but please come prepared
9) Please do not litter the parking lot. Garbage cans will be dispersed throughout the area.
10) BRING SUNSCREEN! Its hot out there before sunset !